Trends come and go in the world of beauty products, but one trend that doesn’t seem to be going anywhere is the trend of human hair as a commodity. It can cost upwards of $500 to buy high-end human hair, but as with a huge number of in-demand commodities, you can buy it on the black market for only a fraction of that price.
A 22-year-old college student was just one of the many people who couldn’t turn down such a bargain price. She makes an appointment to get her extensions done down the cheap route. Her appointment took place at a woman’s home, where a weave-in cap was installed in Brittany’s hair. Brittany got the look she wanted so badly, beachy wave hair extensions, and all for the bargain price of just $60. Little did she know how much the cheap strands of hair would end up costing her.
Two weeks later, after lying down, Brittany discovered some blood on her pillow. She started removing the cheap extensions, but her hair started to come out along with them. It seemed that she had a serious infection on her scalp. She felt nauseous taking her hair out, as there was a horrible smell. Brittany decided to seek the advice of a professional stylist from a local salon called Natural Resources. The salon owner was in shock when she saw Brittany’s scalp. She discovered that the weave had been pulled too tight and as a result her scalp had been opened and exposed. Tamika also suggested that the utensils used when installing the weave were possibly unclean or unsanitary.
Because her scalp had become exposed, it allowed for the weave to become a breeding ground for a serious infection. As a result, a severe abscess devolved on her scalp. This type of infection is known to cause significant hair loss, and if left untreated can even become debilitating and disfiguring. This is what happened to Brittany who was left extremely emotional for weeks after it happened.
She is now partially bald and has to visit regularly a salon to get help with styling her hair, but it is unlikely that her hair will ever return to the same condition it was in pre-extensions. She has to wear her hair up all the time to cover the bald patches. Brittany wants others who may be tempted to take the cheaper route to learning from her mistake. It may cost significantly more, but going to a sanitary salon is worth it in the long run. Going to get your weave done in someone’s home may not be the best idea, you can’t be sure that their equipment is clean, and you may end up losing much more than you gain.
Here are three quick tips to remember when you are thinking of getting hair extensions;
- Have your extensions installed by Irene at Rupunzals Room Hair Salon.
- Don’t be afraid to enquire about their sanitation practices.
If your budget is very limited, you may want to rethink your plan. Hair extensions are expensive, but it is worth the extra time spent saving to get them done by someone reputable.